Friday, 30 August 2013

Afang Soup

Ingredients:
2 big bunches of waterleaf
4 handfuls of cut okazi (ask hand grinders in the market to grind it)
Goatmeat, Shaki, Cowleg
Stock fish
Dry fish
1 cup of periwinkle (optional)
1 cup of palm oil
Crayfish and/or oporo
Pepper
2 Onion bulbs
Knorr Cubes
Salt

Directions:
Wash the cowleg and put in a pot. Add water and cook till it's half done (you might need to add water as you cook the cowleg). When the it is half done, add the shaki and goat meat (be sure you've washed them with salt water 1st). Wash the stock fish and dry fish with hot salt water and remove the bones then add to the pot also. Season with maggi and salt, cut up one onion bulb and add to the pot. Boil till they are well done. Afang soup doesn't need a lot of meat water (because waterleaf brings out a lot of water) so allow your stock dry a bit.

Add palm oil to the meat. Blend onions, crayfish/oporo and pepper and add to the pot. Allow to boil for like 10-15 minutes. Add the periwinkle, waterleaf and okazi. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Cover the pot and allow to boil for 10minutes, turning regularly.

Serve with garri, loi loi, amala, wheat, iyan, semolina or any other kind of "swallow" out there.

ENJOY!!!

13 comments:

  1. What a way to start my long weekend.Some Nigerian food in my system.Afang soup with loi-loi...#weaboutthatlife

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna have to try this recipe. Can I substitute waterleaf n okazi with spinach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use spinach instead of waterleaf but I don't think u can sub the okazi oh. Datz wat makes the soup.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I plan to substitute the waterleaf with spinach...but den, I may not be able to get cowleg cos d african store close to me sells just goatmeat... *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use any kind of meat dear. Pomo works fine too. But goat meat is jst on point with this soup!

      Delete
  4. Like us on Facebook, Ezuka Trading. We sell all the african mende mendes you will need to recreate all of miss chichi's lovely recipes. We gat ya! Gurl this afang wey u don share, I go make am ooo, thank God sey we carry fresh waterleaf for store. Even shaki and the rest plus all kinds of swallowable swallows lol.

    We deliver too. Call us
    510-258-0948


    ReplyDelete
  5. Chi Chi do something on banja stew nah! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Chike, I've neva made banga stew oh but I'll try it out someday and I'll update the recipe. Thanks for d suggestion!

      Delete
  6. Wow@Chichi, just visiting your blog for the 1st time and I'm blown away....I love this, have been looking for something like this , thank God you posted this site on NAIRALAND. ...I'm with you girl *kisses*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks for your kind words. Really appreciate. I hope you try out some recipes and let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  7. M really impressed, u r doin a great job n i couldn't help but laugh wen i saw loiloi hehehe a true igbo lady u r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes oooh, proudly igbo. I wanted to call it "Akpu" but decided to go with the generally accepted name of loi loi. Haha...tnx for ur compliment.

      Delete