Tuesday, 27 August 2013

How to make Buttermilk

Many people have asked me what buttermilk is. The first time I heard of buttermilk, I actually thought: Butter + milk = Buttermilk. Haha. To my greatest surprise, buttermilk is actually curdled milk with a higher acidity (more sour) and less fat than regular sweet milk. Buttermilk is readily available in the dairy section of grocery stores but I have searched high and low for buttermilk in Nigeria but to no avail. So I found the easiest way to make my own buttermilk whenever a recipe calls for it. Here goes the recipe for home made buttermilk.

Ingredients:
1 sachet peak powdered milk (20g)
1 cup of water.
1 Tablespoon white vinegar (or freshly squeezed lemon juice)

Directions:
Mix the milk and water thoroughly. Add the vinegar and let stand for 5-10 minutes. You will notice the milk curdling.

Eureka, there goes your buttermilk!!!

P.S: If you have fresh milk, just add a tablespoon of vinegar (or lemon juice) to a cup of the milk.

14 comments:

  1. Kinkinazozo!! This is soo cool!! Pls keep the recipes coming biko!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...tnx Kinelo. I'll keep the recipes coming. Please try some of dem out n lemme know how it goes oh ;)

      Delete
  2. finally the buttermilk recipe for those of us that can't find buttermilk milk! thanks boo!

    nappilynigeriangirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ada, I hope u actually cook sometin wit d buttermilk oh! :p

      Delete
  3. Gm ,thanks 4 all d gud recipes,its reely helpin allot,pls can buttermikl b stored in d fridge till wen u want to use it,nd 4 how long thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello...I would not advice you to store it in the fridge. Since it's so easy to make, why don't you just make it when you need it instead of making it and then storing it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this. Also just read your red velvet cake recipe and wud love 2try it out. Can I assume dat I can substitute lemon juice for vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gudy, yes...u can definitely use lemon juice in place of vinegar.

      Delete
    2. Thanks very much. But pls even in making my red velvet cakes? And in d same qty as I wud v used vinegar? Gudy

      Delete
    3. Hello Gudy, u can use lemon juice to make buttermilk but u will still need to add the 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the buttermilk u made wen making red velvet cake.

      Delete
    4. Now I get it. Thank you. Gudy

      Delete
  5. Thank you chi chi...am now enjoying my buttter milk...happiness of a good wife...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoopieeeeeeeeeeee! After searching high and low, here's the answer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!bt can one use the tin liquid milk instead of the powdered and water?

    ReplyDelete