Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Happy One Month, ChiChi's Cuisine!

The question I always ask myself is: Why didn't I start this blog earlier?

Cooking has always been a passion for me. I started cooking at a very early age. I remember the first pot of soup I made. I wanted to surprise my mom then because I'd watched her cook soup several times. That very day, she'd gone to market and bought the soup ingredients...as usual, she'd ask me to cook the meat, wash the veggies and cut etc so that all she'll have to do when she returns is cook the soup. So after prepping the things for her, I thought to myself..."I'll surprise her and make the soup." That was the very 1st pot of egusi soup I made. Since then, I have been the chef at home.

Flash forward to several (cooking) years later. I gained admission to Michigan State University (MSU) to study Medical Technology. At MSU I got a job as a research assistant with the History Department. I earned $15/hr on the job and that was a lot for a student but I felt I needed to do something I was passionate about. Luckily for me, I had extra time on my hands so I decided to get another job. I got a job with the University Culinary Services to work at The Gallery in Snyder-Phillips Hall. To my disappointment, I wasn't allowed to even prepare food let alone cook it. You know America and their plenty plenty protocols. I needed to be licensed to do that. It was so bad that not everyone could even load the knives in the dishwasher. Only the cooks could do that. My job was just to serve the food which was really boring to me. However, it did not stop me from learning a thing or two in the kitchen. I made friends with some of the cooks and I always asked questions. I kept my eyes open and stole a few easy recipes. I stored those recipes in my brain waiting for when I'll put them to the test.

Several years later, I returned to Nigeria for National Youth Service Corp (NYSC). The first thing I noticed was the rave about good food. My brother went on and on about the famous shawarma. "ChiChi you have to try this mehn" and you'll be glad you did. When I finally tried the shawarma, I was like "what's the excitement about this na" and then promised him to make him a better shawarma. After I made him my own homemade shawarma, he confessed it's the best he's had ever. And so was his confession about my pizza, spring rolls and a lot more dishes. That was when I started reproducing a lot of dishes I learned from MSU.

Often times I'd have something called "choppage" and my friends would come to my house to eat. When I upload pictures of food I made to my blackberry display picture, people would always ask me for recipe. I was sending out recipes on bbm till some of my friends suggested I start a food blog. I was reluctant at first but after a while I bought into the idea. On August 24th, 2013, ChiChi's Cuisine was born . I am very happy about the responses I've had so far. I am eternally grateful to God for blessing the works of my hands. Very soon I will leave for Medical School but I promise to keep the page up and running. Yes, there will be fewer recipes per month but this page will not die by the Special Grace of God, AMEN!!!

Thank You Lord for giving me this opportunity...Thank you friends, family and followers (F.F.F ---> FGGC Abuloma inside joke) for your love and support. May God meet you all at your points of need. Amen!!!

HAPPY ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY TO CHICHI'S CUISINE!!!

28 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm first to comment! Lol....Weldone darling! I'm also learning plenty Oyibo food things from you. Congrats on your one month anniv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 hearty cheers for Chichi's Cuisine!!!.......and more choppage for us ;) Congrats dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, tnx Suzy...next choppage at ur place :p

      Delete
  3. Got d link frm lindaikeji's blog. This is commendable and I'm learning a lot too. More Grace. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx a lot 4ur comment Rachael, rili appreciate. I didn't even know Linda permitd that post...thank God oh! Lol

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary Chichi!!... And yes, your shawarma is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx abunch Adaora "O" lol...we'll be storming ur house next oh. Remember our arrangement.

      Delete
  5. Congrats darling.......So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Chi..We are indeed proud of you, and i pray that God grants you more grace to keep this up.

    Cheers dear.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Annette. Rili appreciate ur kind words and...AMEN to ur prayer!!!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Love ....I am happy I can always steal a recipe from your blog and it is always going to be available :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for everything darling!!! Really appreciate!

      Delete
  8. I was reading, waiting to see where you'll personally thank me for my love and support but eh, its ok. I'm glad you've found a easy to share your talents with us all and I'll be coming here for that afang soup recipe...u kno Na ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol at thanking you personally...you know ure my personal person na and i'll always thank you personally for all your love and support!!! Much love girl.

      Delete
  9. Good work, welldone, may GOD continue τ̲̅ȍ streghten you τ̲̅ȍ continue, you are putting plenty smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much for your prayer dear. I wish u all the best too! God bless!!!

      Delete
  10. God will continue to strengthen you....IJN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm..... FGGC Abuloma. What set pls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. '02 set...I'm guessing you're an Abu babe too. What set?

      Delete
    2. Wow! Congrats Chichi, ur food blog is impressive. By the way I was 99 set in Abuloma. Abubabes are too much.

      Delete
    3. Tnx dear...I'm curious to know ur name. I think I can remember most of my seniors in Abu. Especially if u were a boarder.

      Delete
  12. Wow chi I love your hard work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God bless u plenty, finally i av a blog dat sastifies my stomach needs. Chinel

    ReplyDelete