Monday 30 September 2013

Abacha


Abacha is a very common dish in the Eastern part of Nigeria. It can be served as a meal or a snack and it is usually served with fried fish. There are different ways to make this dish. The traditional way I learned to make it is inside a mortar. Also, due to health reasons, I usually cut out potash from the recipe. You can make this dish without the potash and still get the same nice tasting abacha. However, I will add the potash to the recipe this time for blogging purposes.

Ingredients:
Abacha
2 spoons potash (akaun)
Palm Oil
2 handfuls Crayfish
Pomo/Canda (chopped into small pieces - optional)
Dry Pepper
Ugba/Ukpaka (oil bean seeds)
Knorr
Salt
Onions
Garden eggs
Garden egg leaves
Fried Fish

Directions: Fry the dry pepper (without oil) in a pan till it blackens a little then grind with a dry mill. Do the same for the crayfish and set them aside. This frying releases their flavors but is optional if you don't have a dry mill. Just buy the crayfish and dry pepper already ground.

Soak the abacha in water for like 3minutes. Drain into a strainer and set aside.

Grind the potash and add a cup of water to it. Stir well and strain into the pot you'll be making the abacha in. Put the pot on the stove and heat. Add the palm oil to the pot and stir well for like 5minutes then turn off the heat.

Add the abacha, ugba, pomo, crayfish and knorr. Add the pepper one spoon at a time and taste so that you don't put too much. Mix everything together and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

Dish into a plate and garnish with onion slices, chopped garden eggs and cut garden egg leaves. Finish off with fried fish and ENJOY!!!

14 comments:

  1. My daddy's favourite! Yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my local dish. This dish is served to all visitors To say welcome in isuochi in umunneochi LGA, Abia State unless we don't like you. Its like presentation of kolanut. You learnt well, hope you prepared the meal in a mortar?*winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nne ehn, it's either I'm getting weaker or the mortar is getting heavier. I used to make it in a mortar but the mortar is so heavy I didn't wanna bother with it. But ure right tho...the traditional way to make it is in a mortar.

      Delete
    2. Hahahahahaha. After carrying a mortar, waist pain will set in, I feel you. Our grandparents tried, thinking back to the very big mortar that is fastened into the soil for grinding and processing palm kernels into oil. Good work, at least you are helping us improve our food menu and cookings. Thank you

      Delete
    3. Haha...my dear, the waist pain isn't an easy one too. The mortar in my house is made of d heaviest wood out there.lol...tnx for d compliments dear!

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot, I love abacha. I dnt use potash at all cos my late aunt warnd me not to. Pls can I skip it in nkwobi 2? God bless. Yinka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, u can skip it in both recipes. I'm not a big fan of it so I also skip it.

      Delete
  4. Can we make without Abacha and Ugba?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we make without Abacha and Ugba?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we make without Abacha and Ugba?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please how can it be made without adding potash. And also how and when to add fio fio!

    ReplyDelete